October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
FOR HELP; Call LINKline which operates 24-7, and will link you to free help, including counseling, shelter, transportation, advocacy and other services. 1-800-897- LINK (5465) or 911 for immediate help. You can visit their website for more information at Utah Domestic Violence Coalition.
What is it?
Have you witnessed or heard persons, married or in another relationship, argue violently?
Had a child run to your house because mom and dad were fighting?
Seen someone at mass or at the store with facial bruises and had concern and questions?
According to a 2006 study, 37% of women in Utah report experiencing domestic violence at some point in their lives.
Abuse in any form--verbal, emotional, physical, or mental--has no place inside of a Catholic marriage or in Catholic family life.
You can help by providing a safe harbor for people to talk. You can download information here, http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/marriage-and-family/marriage/domestic-violence/index.cfm
Local Utah Resources
- LINKline operates 24-7, which will link you to free help, including counseling, shelter, transportation, advocacy and other services. 1-800-897-LINK (5465)
- 24-hour Rape Crisis and Information hotline: 1-888-421-1100
- Rape Recover Center, Salt Lake City, 24 hour hotline: 1-801-467-7273
- Utah Domestic Violence Coalition: https://www.udvc.org
- Utah DHS Domestic Violence Services: https://dcfs.utah.gov/services/domestic-violence-services/
- Safe Harbor Utah, Davis County. Provides shelter and services for domestic violence and sexual assault survivors. www.safeharborhope.org or call 801-444-9161, 24/7
- Utah County Victim Assistance Program: Call 801-851-8364 www.coutah.ut.us/DEPT/SHERIFF/Information/VictimServices.asp
- Duschene County https://www.duchesne.utah.gov/your-government-2/county-departments/victims-advocacy/domestic-violence-resources
Domestic Violence Parish and Liturgical Resources
Liturgical Resources are available in Spanish and English through the USCCB: http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/marriage-and-family/marriage/domestic-violence/index.cfm
Parishes can help by having liturgies or intercessions at Mass praying for those who are victims and calling to Reconciliation and change those who are abusers.
"When I call for Help" is available from the USCCB and can be given to all staff and school faculty.